Site Loader
Visiting Lazio

Visiting Lazio

Lazio is the land of myths and beauty

Lazio region is not only Rome, although is too often identified it with the capital. Unlike other regions (such as Tuscany, Sicily or Trentino Alto Adige), this beautiful territory is almost completely unknown to the Italians.

Lazio, wet to the west by the Tyrrhenian Sea, borders Tuscany, Marche, Umbria, Campania, Abruzzo and Molise regions. Latium is the original Latin name. The climate is temperate and this central area of Italy has it all: sea, mountains, sun, culture. Outside of Rome, there are 3 UNESCO World Heritage Sites:

  • Villa Adriana and Villa d’Este in Tivoli;
  • the Etruscan necropolis of Cerveteri and Tarquinia.

Overall, we can say that Lazio is a happy region. Obviously it is impossible to talk about a whole land within an article. For this reason, I will deal a few key places: those of my heart.

Ostia Antica

The ruins, surrounded by nature, exude a mystery almost esoteric, speaking a language that goes beyond the notions of art history. The sacredness of the place earns respect from the entrance, marked by the ancient necropolis, whose graves stand silently on a grass that seems to know the secrets of the place.

I wonder if the poor remains of the ancient Romans still roam around.


Why? Because when I ended up there during cool autumn a year ago, a blanket of dry leaves covered the parks and the streets populated by Art Nouveau buildings, giving them an aura of romance and poetry. We are in the land of thermal water: here, especially in the past, tourists took refuge for healthy baths and for Fiuggi water, a brand famous in the world. The historic center is characterized by ancient alleys, climbs and descents, stairs and railings. Not to mention the restaurants with a panoramic view on Ernici Mounts.

San Felice Circeo

There is a beautiful sea and many wild dunes. The atmosphere is charming and it recalls the myths at the basis of our history. I love San Felice especially in low season. And I always remember its clean beaches, the wind and the wonderful dinners of fish.


Have you ever walked on neat stones, whose whiteness contrasts with the bright colors of the flowers? Have you ever eaten strozzapreti (a special handmade pasta) and goat meat under the walls of a fairytale castle? Try to get on the maschio (the main tower) and take a look at the master bedroom of the Caetani noble family. You will be amazed. Just outside Sermoneta, there’s the Garden of Ninfa, which was also owned by the Caetani. Charming, romantic and full of wild plants.

Lazio is that and much more.

I think I discovered only the 10% of a region where I live for 15 years, but continue to follow me here to unveil together with me the other 90%.



I'm a Italy lover, mom of two, living in central Italy and I love travelling. I have a degree in Tourism economics and management and now I'm a consultant helping businesses working in tourism.

Lascia un commento

Il tuo indirizzo email non sarà pubblicato. I campi obbligatori sono contrassegnati *